Last week at Rolling Rook Studio

Hey all! I'm sorry I haven't posted a new blog entry in quite some time. Things have been hectic at the studio (which isn't a bad thing). We've been in the process of revamping a bunch of things. We started with getting rid of some old. clunky furniture and ripping out the icky old carpet (that, I believe, came from Pete Steffy's restaurant).

After some of the furniture was removed we got down to the business of ripping out the old carpet and exposing the original tile beneath. Most people don't know this, but the studio was not only my bedroom when I was a little girl, but it was also my mother's bedroom when she was a little girl. She came over and had fun seeing the old floor.

Needless to say, I didn't get as many bicycle rides in this past week as I would have liked, but by the aches and pains I was feeling from ripping up the carpet and wiping down the tile floor, I think I got a bit of a workout in anyway.

The next thing I did was drive over to IKEA in Ohio (Indianapolis doesn't get one until later this year). I had already visited the week before and knew exactly what I wanted. I absolutely fell in love with their sit/stand desk line up and knew I wanted the biggest (and motor driven) desk I could get, along with the shelves to make up for the loss of the huge desk and filing cabinets. So I took about 5 hours out of one day and drove all the way over to Cincinnati grabbed the stuff from the bins and drove back to the studio to start assembling.

I got most of the desk done by myself, but our art director (who had previously assembled the same shelving unit), helped me out extensively with the shelves, which eased my frustration considerably.

IMG_7036.png

Once the furniture was assembled and put into place, I went about searching for the perfect rug... You know.. the one that "ties the room together"? After purchasing the desk and shelving units, my budget was kind of tight, so I found the perfect rug at Menard's for $35!

The rug had all the colors of the studio, including the off-white trim, the brown wood of the shelves and most importantly... the blue of the floor and the green of the walls!  

I also did some tile repair work and this weekend, got around to painting the company logo on the wall above couch!

I even gave the logo a hidden little feature that can only be seen under UV light (with a Sharpie highlighter).

I still have a ways to go. I'd like to grab 2 more shelving units (replace the wooden book case) and I think, after that, I'll be happy with the studio space for a very long time to come!